Me? A Pot Head?

Let me tell you, it’s not all it’s cracked up to be.

I was having sooooo much fun hiking around Trillium Lake, up near Mt. Hood. I found something really, really tasty and ate a bit of it before Mom made me ‘drop it’. When we got home, I had to go have a bath, because Mom said I stunk. Then I ate dinner and a little bit later, threw up. I was feeling pretty icky and didn’t want to do anything but just lay there. Pee was dripping out on the floor. What’s up with that?

Mom and Dad put me in the car and took me to the hospital…by that time I was walking funny. Sorta staggering. The vet said I had to stay the night and they put needles in me and stuck something up my pee-pee place and made me eat something that tasted like charcoal. I felt so bad for a while that I didn’t care what they did, but I finally started feeling better…after they sucked out some more blood and made me walk and stuff. I finally got to go home. Let me tell you, I was sure happy to see Mom and Dad this morning!

Mom here: The incidence of dogs ingesting a neurotropic toxin like marijuana (which is what they suspected she did) is higher in states with legal medical marijuana. Unfortunately, there are irresponsible people who leave their stash or whatever around and dogs love it. Sage apparently found one of these stashes and ate some of it before I could stop her. At the time, I had no idea what she had found. As soon as she exhibited symptoms, after we got home, we took her to our emergency animal hospital, Dove Lewis, where they admitted her to the ICU. The vet was a bit guarded with her prognosis at first, which was really scary. Of course, we didn’t know it was marijuana at the time, but the vet suspected it. Later blood work showed lowered glucose levels, which is another indication of a neurotropic toxin and is related to her lack of coordination. Fortunately, she is a very healthy dog and was able to recover fully. After a night in the ICU, she’s now sleeping off the effects of the pot.

Not knowing much about marijuana myself, it is something I never realized dogs loved. There is a good article on a Oregon Medical Marijuana site about Pets and Pot. Dogs are the most affected; it’s not generally fatal, but dogs need treatment and close monitoring as quickly as possible.

We are thankful that she will be OK, although it’ll be a couple of days before she’s back to her old self. We (Sage & I) will post some of the gorgeous photos taken on this rather eventful hike in the next day or so. Of course, that includes visits to all of you!

29 thoughts on “Me? A Pot Head?

  1. Sage, we’re SO glad you’re okay! Nights in pet hospital can be scary after you eat something that seems tasty to you, but people think was maybe not such a good idea. I know, I’ve had a couple of those. Rest up on the couch, get lots of loves and read Harry Potter – that’s what I did. Woo woo, Beary x

    Like

  2. That must have been so scary for you. We had no idea, but Mom says she doesn’t think she would recognize pot if she saw it anyway. We are very happy that you were able to get Sage to the vet so quickly. Thank dogness for smart Moms.

    Woos – Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning

    Like

  3. Oh Sage,

    What a shock for you and your family – glad you’re feeling better buddy!!

    I think there’s much better ways to chill out!!

    Wags to all

    Your pal Snoopy 🙂

    Like

  4. Pingback: Bits of fluff | bumpyroadtobubba

  5. Pingback: Wow! Awards for Little ‘Ol Me! « The (mis)Adventures of Sage

  6. Pingback: Trillium Lake « The (mis)Adventures of Sage

  7. Dear Sage, that was so awfull! I’m so happy you are well now! Why our ‘nature doesn’t tell’ us what we shouldn’t eat? It’s better to eat only from your own plate and from your own human! kisses from Nero

    Like

  8. So glad she is feeling better. That is absolutely horrible. It is very scary what they can ingest, and how quickly, while hiking in what should be a safe and idyllic haven. Who would know that the smell of that stuff would be attractive to dogs. They are incredible survivors. Feel better Sage.

    Like

  9. Pingback: Monday Mischief: Did I Overdo It? | The (mis)Adventures of Sage

  10. Oh my gosh! That is one of the craziest stories I’ve ever heard. You guys must have been pretty scared while she was in the hospital. I’m very sorry to hear about what you went through but am very very very glad that Miss Sage is OK. Goodness, the things you have to worry about these days!

    Like

  11. OMD Sage, that is horribull. No wonner mom screams rillly loud when I try to nom stuffs on hikes. I will has to try to control myself. Or mebbe not. But so glad all worked out well fur you. I guess mom is really going to be screaming loud at me to LEAVE IT now.

    Like

  12. Pingback: 10.16.12 Cupcakes for DogDaz « dogdaz

  13. Pingback: I’ve Been Nipped | The (mis)Adventures of Sage

  14. Pingback: The Mountain is Mine! | The (mis)Adventures of Sage

  15. Pingback: Thanks | The (mis)Adventures of Sage

Comments are the BEST...I can't wait to read yours!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s